Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I Have an 18 year old schipperke mix. A few months ago he…

Customer Question
I Have an 18...

I Have an 18 year old schipperke mix. A few months ago he suffered back to back seizures. I took him to an animal neurologist who performs many tests and scans. after spending almost $2000 I was told all was good. However, he experienced a seizure Monday and again yesterday. He is traumatized when I take him to the vet (literally shakes uncontrollably from head to toe them entire time he is there) so I a, hesitant to take him in. Being 18, I am trying to keep him as calm and stressless as possible.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the schipperke's name?

At this age, I do not want to take him for more testing, but wondered if there are other causes, other than a brain tumor, which can cause the seizures. THe seizure itself,only last for a minute, but Monday it was thirty minutes after, before he attempted to stand and yesterday it was 45 minutes. Bit hard times he has thrown up right before and after and he losses control and urinates, which I have read, are common symptoms of a seizure. Any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Monday?

Other than, I have noticed, before both seizures, he doesn't seem to have an appetite for maybe 24 hours before he has one

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. This is Dr. Hill. It is hard to see our beloved pets age, but there are many things that we can do to help make the end of their lives more comfortable. I completely understand not wanting to put him through more tests. The vast majority of seizures that start late in life are associated with cancer, typically brain tumors. However, there are degenerative diseases of the brain that can cause seizures as well. If they did an MRI and did not see a primary tumor and they did a cerebral fluid analysis test and did not see abnormal cells, then it is very unusual. It may be beneficial to start him on an anti seizure medication, to try and make him more comfortable. Keppra (levetiracetam) is a wonderful medication that has minimal side effects. If all of the tests were normal, then the next step is to try and control the seizures. Please ask any follow up questions. Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill