Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was seen at his vet's office on Thursday because he…

Customer Question
My dog was seen...

My dog was seen at his vet's office on Thursday because he was drooling and there was some blood in the drool. Vet found what she said was a mass on the inside of the lower jaw line under tongue. She said it could be cancer but not sure. Said they could schedule a biopsy under light anesthesia. I made an appointment with a specialist here in Reno but we can't get in until Tuesday. His mouth is bleeding a lot off and on. I called to ask if he could be seen sooner and they have a emergency service but he can't see the actual specialist until Tuesday. He is a basset hound, 11 years old. Is there a way to stop the bleeding? If I take him to the emergency is it going to be possible for them to do anything?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about to?

Two months ago he lost an eye to glaucoma. Same side, right.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

There are a few options for you right now. Unfortunately the mouth is a highly vascular place and so any masses that grow there usually have the propensity to bleed a lot if irritated. There is not much to be done at home unless he is really tolerant and will let you try and ice it in a paper towel, but with it being under the tongue it is probably really painful. Did your veterinarian give you some pain medications for him?

The emergency clinic could sedate him and try and cauterize the mass, but I am not sure how long that will hold. The also may be able to debulk the mass and get it sent off the to the lab today instead of waiting until Tuesday. Then if they are able to remove a big part of the mass they can suture it closed and that could get the bleeding to stop.

Mouth masses can be particularly frustrating for owners and the pets who have them because of the bleeding that often occurs. The best bet is getting is de bulked and get the biopsy sent off now. If the emergency clinic cannot do that then they can sedate him and try and cauterize the mass.