Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 21month old weimaraner was just diagnosed with

Customer Question
Our 21month old weimaraner...

Our 21month old weimaraner was just diagnosed with fibrosarcoma 2 weeks ago. We we told by 3 vets that amputation was the best option. On March 29th she went in for her amputation surgery and never returned. They said her heart stopped during the procedure. I feel like she may have made a mistake and I can't stop thinking about it. Right away she waived all surgery fees and offered to pay for the cremation. She was young and healthy and I really feel like she should be home adapting to living on three legs...just want to hear someone's the on this. I couldn't find much online about fatalities during this particular surgery. Our 3 kids and ourselves aee so stunned and saddened by this....

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I just sent a detailed message

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Mabel

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about your loss of Mabel. It is a very unfortunate event when an anesthetic related death happens. Unfortunately, anesthetic related deaths can happen despite appropriate care / monitoring during the procedure. If you were to go around and poll every veterinarian, I'm sure if they have been practicing long enough, each one could rattle off a few anesthetic related death cases that they have had over their career. I know colleagues that have had completely normal (on the outside) healthy young dogs come in for spay / neuter procedures and have anesthetic related deaths. There is always going to be a small subset of these that happen. The number in theory can be reduced by screening before hand, having IV catheters / fluids going during the procedure and thorough monitoring during the procedure and all - but these unfortunate events still can randomly happen as those unknown patients could have underlying non clinical heart issues or anesthetic sensitivities. As far as waving the fees and paying for cremation, some vets will do this not because they feel responsible, but because they are being nice. I know a lot of clinics that would have charged for everything up to that point as they are losing money if they don't charge and the haven't done anything wrong. It is not easy to lose a young dog due to these circumstances. My condolences go out to you and your family.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?