Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Yellow discharge like from nose not eating lethargic, coal

Customer Question
Yellow discharge like snot from...
Yellow discharge like snot from nose not eating lethargic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: coal he is 12 and an outside dog no vaccine history
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about coal?
Customer: No
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Does he have distemper
4/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Coal's symptoms can represent canine distemper considering his lack of vaccine history but other infections need to be considered as well - Bordetella bronchiseptica (infectious tracheobronchitis/"kennel cough"), canine respiratory coronavirus, canine adenovirus type 2, canine parainfluenza virus, canine herpesvirus type 1, and canine influenza virus. Practically speaking, because we don't have specific therapies for the viruses, prescribing an antibiotic that's broad spectrum and effective against the bacterium Bordetella such as amoxicillin/clavulanate or doxycycline would be reasonable. These would need to be prescribed an an attending vet and should be administered for 10-14 days in such a patient.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian