Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She is a -haired dauchaund, she is acting gimpy and very

She is a long-haired dauchaund...
She is a long-haired dauchaund, she is acting gimpy and very tender towards her rear end
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She acts like she's very tender and sore in her rear end
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Stella, about 7 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?
Customer: Don't think so
3/28/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Stella isn't feeling well. I have a few additional questions to ask first about her, if you don't mind:

1. How long has she been acting this way?

2. Can you clarify what you mean by "acting gimpy"? For example, is she limping on one particular leg or does she just react with discomfort when you feel certain parts of her body...or possibly both?

3. Is she currently taking any medication?

4. How much does she weigh?

Thanks, Deb

She weighs about 15 pounds, no just if I touch her towards her rear end about her tail section, she usually jumps up on the couch but now she's not doing that and she's moving slow her nose is cold no fever.
She is not taking any medication

Thanks for the answers to my questions and the additional information. I'll thank you in advance for your patience while I type back a response for you since my replies tend to be a tad on the lengthy side. Deb

Sure thing..
Also she just started acting like that very late last night and early this morning

There actually could be several different reasons why she's acting this way (which I'll list below) but given her breed and their tendency to develop problems with their spines, I'd probably want to consider this first. A frequent problem with Dachshunds is that compression of the spinal cord by a disc is often seen... the degree of compression varies from mild (where the patient might act as Stella is doing) to fairly severe (the patient is paralyzed).

The other possibilities include:

1. Bruising or a strain/sprain or pulled muscle such that she's unwilling to move/jump as she's used to doing. Typically, a localized area of discomfort or pain can't be found.

2. As strange as it sounds, I have seen some dogs with anal glands behave as you describe. If you are not familiar with these glands, the following link discusses them in detail: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625

Some dogs are extremely bothered when these glands fill up which causes pressure on their bodies and will continue to do so until they are emptied. Although a groomer can provide this service for you, they usually attempt to empty the glands externally. The better method is done rectally which is how a vet tech or your vet would empty them.

3. Tick diseases can also cause some dogs to behave this way although they're usually also running fevers ...although not all of them do.

But, regardless of what might be the problem, since she's not taking any medication and not vomiting (I assume), then otc, human Aspirin can be given at a dose of one, low dose, 81 mg tablet twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset. The anti-pain as well as anti-inflammatory properties of this drug may help to provide relief.

My only hesitation about its use would be that it might interfere with what your vet would want to prescribe if she has to be seen; however, one or two doses should be fine.

Hopefully, this isn't anything too serious but if she worsens in any way and/or doesn't seem better by tomorrow, then a vet visit may be wise.

I hope this helps. Deb

Thank you, ***** ***** more is when she lies on her back I can rub her tummy, but as I get lower to her tail she flinches and act like it hurts

You're more than welcome.

I suspect that either her anal glands are bothering her or she's experiencing an issue with her spinal cord since you can localize the area of discomfort to this area. I know it might sound strange that something fairly benign (the anal gland problem) versus something possibly a little more serious (the spinal cord compression) might elicit similar symptoms/behavior, but I've seen it quite a few times in my career.

Every vet practices differently, of course, but if my physical exam can't confirm the problem, then I always empty the anal glands to make sure that I've ruled out this possibility.

X-rays might detect a problem with the spine but typically either an MRI or CT scan is necessary to definitively rule in this problem....not something most owners want to rush to have done.

Deb

Thank you Doctor Deb..

My pleasure.

Best of luck with her; I'll be hoping that her anal glands are full and she's just a little uncomfortable as a result. Regards, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian