Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a whelping female giving birth now. She wasn't

Customer Question
I have a whelping...

I have a whelping female giving birth now. She wasn't supposed to give birth until 63 days gestation on 03/26. We're in Wisconsin with outside temps at 30 degres. When I found her at 11:00 am today, she already had 3 pups-all dead because of cold. She did have one pup still living, but now its going on 6:45 pm. Do I use .05 mls of oxytocin? Rick Neustadter***@******.***

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the whelp?

She normally has 8-10 pups. I've felt her belly and it still feels like more pups there. Again do I use oxytocin to help with the birthing? Rick

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rick?

She is a repeat mother, which is good. She also seems very anxious like she should have more pups.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

I am so sorry she lost a few of the puppies. Do we know how many she was going to have by X-ray or are we flying blind?

Did you get the puppy warm?

I need to have her weight to get you a oxytocin dose to given in the muscle.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian