Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My female pug, 1 1)2 yrs. old, has been listless, and clingy…

Customer Question
My female pug, 1...

My female pug, 1 1)2 yrs. old, has been listless, and clingy for the last 4-5 days. She is not eating, barely drinking water, and has vomited clear puddles of watery clear,slightly thick liquid. She appears to have dropped 5-6 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

I don't think so She's had all vaccinations, except rabies, and hasn't shown any unhealthy signs before

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Any diarrhea?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- How long since the last time she vomited?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She had scraps of cornbeefd, may have gotten something from trash,solid stool, not sure of weght, and vomited last night

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

I am sorry your dog is not feeling well. Vomiting and lethargy can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. The fact that this has been ongoing for 4-5 days I am a bit concern about her hydration. In this case, I would strongly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can. The attending veterinarian will start her on IV fluids and anti-emetics while they run some testing to determine the exact underlying cause. Additional treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do until she is seen by a veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 2-3 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 2-3 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet.

4- Follow-up with your veterinarian for a hands on examination as soon as you can as described above.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian