Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 25lb Shiba Inu, he ate half of a mocha poptart

I have a 25lb...

I have a 25lb Shiba Inu, he ate half of a mocha poptart (Dukin Donut pop tart brand) should we be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Nothing else, pretty healthy dog.

3/21/2017
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you

The most likely symptoms you may see in the next 4-6 Hours is some upset stomach. This can include diarrhea or some vomiting. To help prevent this I would recommend a pepsid dose be given now and again in 12 hours as well as feeding a very bland diet tonight like boiled chicken and rice or chicken baby food.

His Dose of pepsid (famotidine over the counter ) is 10 mg and the tablets come in 10 and 20 mg so either give him 1 of the 10 mg tablets now again in 12 hours or given 1/2 of a 20 mg tablet now and again in 12 hours.

You can also go and pick up some canine probiotic form petsmart to help make sure his normal bacterial flora does not change resulting in diarrhea.

More than likely he will be ok as the chocolate content in the pop tart will not be enough to cause chocolate toxicity. It is more likely that he will just have some mild gastrointestinal signs or he may not have any symptoms and be just fine.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me for helping you.

I am also here for follow up questions. Just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards ,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you for your help!

You are very welcome.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Meghan Denney