Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was vomiting yellow bile, then clearer foamy. My vet…

Customer Question
My dog was vomiting...

My dog was vomiting yellow bile, then clearer fo***** *****. My vet suggested anti nausea pills, followed by Zantac. I have been following this advice. Now my dog, Nomi, is drooling excessively following short "throat clearing" coughs. She hadn't eaten for a couple of days. Last evening I managed to get her to eat a bit of brown rice in lamb broth. This morning I have given her white fish which she has eaten.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Nomi will be able to digest that. How old is Nomi?

Nomi is nine. She was a puppy when I found her in Mexico. I think she had a rough start and has had what I believe to be "stomach issues" most of her life. She has had all her shots and was treated for parasites when I first found her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nomi?

She is a very emotionally sensitive dog. I had to leave her at home with my partner while I went away for a couple of months. She began to throw up daily about a week before I returned.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/21/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What tests did her vet do?

Which anti-nausea pills is she on besides the Zantac?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cerenia tablets 80 mg once daily.Can she keep water down? YesAre her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?
Gums are pink and moist.If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
No evidence of pain or tenderness.Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Not certain, but doubtful.

Thank you,

Now I am quite concerned to hear that Nomi isn't settling on both of those medications together. Especially since her drooling is a sign that the nausea is not being fully settled by both drugs. Therefore, if we are seeing that treatment failure for her, it would be ideal for her vet to start a stronger option (ie Zofran, Metoclopramide). At the same time, her vet could start her on an appetite stimulant (ie Mirtazapine) to give her a push to eat for us. Any delay in having them doing so, you could try an alternative OTC antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)) alongside the Cerenia.

Otherwise, since you didn't note any testing having been done, we may want to think about having a blood sample +/- ultrasound done. That way we can make sure we don't have any infection, underlying organ issues, metabolic diseases or masses present causing these signs for Nomi. And if one was found, then knowing which was here would allow us to properly treat this for her. That way we'd have the best chance of getting her settled and eating properly again.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Dr. B.
At this point, I am going to monitor her for a few days, and take her back to the vet if the symptoms don't subside.
I believe she may need to be scoped.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a reasonable plan but do make sure to have her seen sooner if she cannot keep any food down or becomes weak/dehydrated. Scoping would be a good next step to look for changes in the stomach and intestines but if her vet hasn't done bloods yet, we'd want to have that done before she has an anesthesia (since it will give us answers on her organ function but also make sure she is safe to have an anesthesia).

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian