Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Kingsland Blvd Animal Clinic
94981754

I have a question about puppy chow for a puppy I plan to get

I have a question about puppy chow for a puppy I plan to get next week.

Hi I am Dr. Denney. I think you may have accidentally opened a second question about the same topic.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I made a mistake and asked this of a cat vet. I am getting a puppy next week and the breeder says she only feeds her ;pups grain free puppy chow. I don't know anything about this and wonder if it is a fad. Is grain free chow better for dog health or is it just a fad?
My vet does not carry grain free chow so I would have to drive to a near by town to find it. I live in a rural area. Of course I want what is best for the new puppy.

I am a cat and a dog vet

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fine but can you answer my question about puppy chow?

:). I am listed as a feline and canine veterinarian. I practice currently on both./ I am the same veterinarian who answered you on the other question.

Traditionally dogs have been fed through the ages on a grain diet and never had any issues. In the current dog food climate and diet climate around the world are gearing towards everyone being gluten intolerant desiring a grain free diet. It is entirely rare for a dog or cat to have a true grain allergy. Most dogs and cats with food allergies are allergic to the main meat source protein in their food. Grains are actually a wonderful source of nutrients and I am sad that it is common belief that they are bad for you and or our pets.

Veterinarians have for the most part tried to stay out of conversation because people get very hot under the collar discussing this topic. So while there is not anything wrong with a grain free diet it really is not any better than, say, Purina One (which I really like and recommend to my clients) .

Generally as long as the dog food brand you choose has the formulated for puppy stages and has the AAFCO statement on the bad you will be just fine.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did not see the answer as there was a problem and my bank thought there was a problem with the card. This was resolved.
Please can you answer the question again.

Sure, I replied again above can you see it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Makes good sense. If I feed the new puppy Purina or Hill's puppy chow will the change in food upset her stomach? Is Purina One for ;puppies or just adult dogs?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is AAFCO?

Grain free has become very "trendy". However studies have shown that very few dogs actually require a grain free diet. Purina or any other over the counter formulated puppy diet will be just fine. I recommend Purina one puppy food as my over the counter brand and either Hills science diet or Royal Canin as the veterinarian brand. I would take some of the food from the breeder and slowly switch the puppy over to what every you buy. I would also not discuss this diet change with the breeder as this can cause many problems and breeders and can be firm in their beliefs.

About AAFCO Model Pet food Regulations

Remember, the AAFCO Models are not official regulations, but most states have adopted a version of the AAFCO Model Pet food Regulations into their own laws and regulations. So, for practical reasons, the AAFCO Model Pet Food Regulations are the standard. While an individual state may have its own set of rules that vary somewhat from the AAFCO Models, it is highly unlikely that pet food products distributed in multiple states aren’t in compliance with the AAFCO Models.

Also, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) labeling requirements for animal food apply to all products that cross state lines. Although these federal pet food regulations are rather minimal compared to the AAFCO Models, they also include some details AAFCO does not.

The vast majority of pet foods comply with AAFCO Models and federal regulations.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I will not talk about food with the breeder who as you say, has some very definite opinions about dog food. I just want to do the right thing by the the puppy as I have not had a puppy for many years. My old dog who just died did fine on Science dog food.
I have wondered at so many people suddenly becoming gluten intolerant.

Good luck and congrats on your new puppy !

I am here for any additional questions you may have. Just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

If you have a moment I would very much appreciate if you could rate my assistance so I can continue to improve on my services.

I am also here should you need anything else just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have been very helpful. I am delighted that I won't have to drive 100 miles to buy dog food!

You are so welcome! And yes that is a lot of driving for dog food ;)