Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a seven year old boxer who likely has a brain tumor…

Customer Question
I have a seven year...
I have a seven year old boxer who likely has a brain tumor (we've opted out of a $1200 CT to confirm). I think he is turning for the worse. He was very restless last night, up and down (he sleeps with us in bed) and my husband says he didn't sleep at all today. Tonight, h has continnued to pace and whimper. I know we've probably overdosed him, but we've given him 1000mg Neurontin, 4 pills of melatonin, and 75 mg of Benadryl. He's about 65 pounds. STILL PACING. Help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

JACustomer, if the pacing persists you'll need to have Titus examined and treated. He has had nearly double what is recommended for Neurontin and does not appear to be responding despite your efforts with this medication, as well as the benadryl and melatonin. I can tell you that benadryl does cause agitation in some dogs and it may be that it's having an adverse effect on him. I realize my response is coming in about 2 hours after you posted your question. If he is still pacing at this time, I would head to the ER for treatment. It may be time to consider euthanasia for the suspect brain tumor if he truly has taken a turn for the worst and is not responding to conventional therapy.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse