Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I was looking in to a recent behavior my cat starting

Good morning, My name is...
Good morning, My name is ***** ***** I was looking in to a recent behavior my cat starting exhibiting When I play fetch with my cat, he will look up at the ball as I throw it and his head tremors from side to side. This only happens when he is looking up at the ball and I wasn't sure if this is a serious issue I should have looked at.
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He only shakes his head back and forth for about a second, but does so every time that he looks up at the ball.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/28/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hi Brittany. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand that your cat will shake his head back and forth for a second when he is looking at the ball you are throwing - is that a correct summary? What is your cat's name?

Hi Dr. Perry. That is a correct summary. My cat's name is***** was just trying to determine if this is a common occurrence in cats when they play or if this is something that may be more serious.
Thank you

It is likely not a serious situation. Do you happen to know what breed Baker primary looks like? Also, does Baker have blue or brown-colored eyes?

I believe he is a Russian Blue or a Russian Blue mix. He has green eyes and short grey hair.

OK, thank you. Some cats that are closer to the Siamese have a known neurological wiring that causes the eyes to shift back and forth and some people notice that as alarming. What Baker is doing is a normal feature that some cats do and it is thought be be related to the way the optic nerve connects to the part of the brain that perceives vision. However, the only thing that would not be normal and could exhibit a shaking when the head is extended is if there is any pain. There is likely no pain if he does not vocalize and immediately fetches after the object with no signs of discomfort.

Therefore, I do not think you have anything to worry about here.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you so much for clarifying that for me! Have a great day!
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian