Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog sounds weezie and has a yeasty smell coming from his nose. Sirius Black he is an 8 year old black lab, He just

Customer Question
He sounds weezie and has...
He sounds weezie and has a yeasty smell coming from his nose.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sirius Black he is an 8 year old black lab
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sirius Black?
Customer: He just finished 2 rounds of medicine for a bacterial/yeast infection on his chin but the medicine didn't help with his breathing. The vet said his lungs sound fine.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/26/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

Hi I am Dr. Denney I am currently reviewing your question now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question.

Can you tell me if you have tried topical therapies on your pups chin? Can you tell me when kind of food bowl and water bowl he eats and drinks out of?

I used some medicated pads as well. And he uses metal bowls. He was weezie before I took him to the vet and we thought the meds would take care of both the chin and nose but it only helped the chin.

Have you tried antihistamines yet? We can try a dose of Zyrtec once a day for a few days and see if this helps. Did you guys take chest X-rays to see what his lungs look like?

He has been taking zyrtec for a few months now, we switched him from benadryl. It helps him with his ear infections. They did not take a chest x-ray since his lungs sounded clear.

I am just concerned about the wheezing you are describing. I am going to send you some you tube videos listen to the dogs in them and tell me if any of them sound familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_Sw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFvZFbxmAlo

No I doesn't sound like either of those situations. It sounds like when your nose is stuffy and a little bit of air is getting through kind of a high pitched. He is eating and playing normally I just can't figure out why he smells so bad, just in his nose area.

Hmm wonder if he has just some rhinitis (infection in his nasal passages). One thing to consider is the sedate him and get a deep culture swab of his nasal passages to see what he is growing up there. That way we can get him on the correct antibiotic if needed. I would also consider a short steroid course to decrease inflammation. Does this make sense? I have had to do this in a few cases and it got me and my client answers.

Rhinitis is the inflammation of the mucous membrane in the nose. (If the lining of the sinuses is inflamed, it’s called sinusitis. If both the nose and sinuses are affected, it is rhino-sinusitis.) Rhinitis can occur by itself or as part of an upper respiratory illness/infection. Rhinitis can be mild, with just a bit of clear nasal discharge seen, or it can be severe enough to have green/yellow/hemorrhagic (bloody) discharge.

Many things can cause inflammation of nose lining in dogs and cats. Some of them are:

• Tooth root abscess
  • Viruses (feline herpesvirus, feline calici, and canine distemper, for example)
  • Fungal infections
  • Parasites (nasal mites, for example)
  • Inflammatory polyp
  • Birth defects (a cleft palate, for example)
  • Facial/head trauma
  • Foreign bodies (blades of grass, seeds, and grass awns, for example)
  • Allergies
  • Cancer
  • Bacteria

Primary bacterial causes of rhinitis in cats are uncommon. The bacterial infection is usually secondary to another disease.

Aspergillus fumigatus is the most common cause of fungal rhinitis in dogs.

Cases of rhinitis can be chronic (ongoing) or acute (short term). Chronic rhinitis has intermittent, recurrent episodes of sneezing and nasal discharge; sometimes there will be a partial response to antibiotics, but not enough to get rid of it forever. Chronic rhinitis/rhino-sinusitis cases in cats are often referred to as chronic snufflers.

Signs may include sneezing, pawing at the face (which can indicate a foreign body), snoring, nasal obstruction, and/or a nasal discharge. When the nasal passages are narrowed because of inflammation, the pet will breathe with an open mouth and experience shortness of breath. Sneezing is seen most frequently in acute rhinitis as the pet attempts to clear discharge out of the upper airways. Sneezing tends to be intermittent in chronic rhinitis. Conjunctivitis (inflammation of the conjunctiva, or pink eye) and tearing may be seen in conjunction with inflammation of the upper respiratory passages.

Diagnosis

Diagnosis is based on history and physical examination. To determine the underlying reason for the rhinitis, the diagnostic work up often requires anesthesia for complete examination. The workup usually includes radiographs of the skull, a culture of the nasal passage and its discharge, nasal wash, a microscopic examination of the discharge, and endoscopy (a type of imaging in which a lighted tube is inserted into the nasal passages).

Treatment

Treatment depends on the underlying cause of the rhinitis. Medications such as antibiotics, antihistamines, steroids, or anti-fungal medications may be called for. Secondary bacterial nasal infections are common, and the associated discharge often will resolve with antibiotic treatment. For cases involving foreign objects or cancer, surgery may be needed.

Prognosis

Prognosis is dependent on the underlying cause of the rhinitis and the chronicity of the case.

Here is some information that goes into detail about rhinitis

If you have additional questions please reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

If this answered your question I would be very appreciative if you could rate my assistance so I can be credited for answering your question through this site.

Kind regards ***** ***** good night

Dr. Meghan Denney

Thank you.

Good luck . Let me know how it goes. If need me to go into more detail just let me know and I will do so.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian