Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Why My 16 yrs old dog will d ohis small business where I am

when I am busy? JA...
Why My 16 yrs old dog will d ohis small business where I am when I am busy?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: He is confuse time to time, have heart problem on heart med and water med and also he don't let out of his singt.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: sometime his back leg with no straight.
JA: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?
Customer: He is under the Nick in central Vet in wellington, His name Riley. There some question? My friend and my sister said that this is the time let him go?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?
Customer: he will see Nick at April. How old the dog can live?
2/23/2017
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What breed i syour dog?

If mixed, can you give me an idea of his breed such as chihuahua, dachshund, etc?

Is he defecating or urinating?

Is he doing it in his bed as well or it just seems to come out without him seeming to notice?

Hi again,

I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. When your question showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay. Since there was a delay, I don't want you to have to wait any longer. Often in cases like this it is the result of fecal and urinary incontinence often brought on by disc issues in the back or canine cognitive dysfunction syndrome (CDS).

Many smaller dogs like dachshunds, chihuahuas, shih Tzu's and terriers have longer backs and are prone to disc issues. In some cases, injury is more likely and in others degenerative disc issues are common. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

Large dog breeds sometimes suffer from a condition called degenerative myelopathy which can also cause problems with the rear legs and paralyses and also lead to fecal/urinary incontinence. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/degenerative-myelopathy/page1.aspx

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours if there is pain. Usually when pain is present a dog will avoid jumping and stairs as well. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

As for CDS, there is a wonderful site that explains Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CDS) well and also explains how to document your dog's behavior and discuss it with your vet. The good news is that there is a drug called L-Selegeline (Anipryl (R)) which has been recently approved for use in the clinical indication of cognitive dysfunction (CDS) in dogs. Please see this site for more information and other causes that may exhibit the same symptoms.

http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swiftwater/p22CanineCognitiveDysfunction.htm

Generally we don't recommend euthanasia until a dog has no quality of life. As long as they have things they enjoy even if it is just sitting by your side and they are not in constant pain, they have some quality of life. Large dogs tend to have a shorter lifespan with many being between 10=13 years of age. Smaller dogs tend to live longer. At 16, he is already elderly but my 30 pound dog just died last year at 18 and I've seen some chihuahuas that have made it to 20 years old as well.

There is a product called a belly band that helps with urinary incontinence in a male dog. You can see these here:

http://www.heartoftexasgreyhounds.com/bellyband.htm

For fecal incontinence many people have their dogs wear diapers. I hope I've given you excellent service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, or if you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.

Thank you very much, it is very helpful. I am still enjoy the time with him, so I give up my job; stay home. My dog riley is boy, fox cross only 10 kg. I noticed his is in pain some time, he take meyacam when he need it. He has appointment with Vet next week.
Thanks Again
Elise

You are very welcome. I'll keep your boy Riley in my prayers.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner