Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our AmStaff x (rescue) is 20 months old and had surgery in…

Our AmStaff x (rescue) is...
Our AmStaff x (rescue) is 20 months old and had surgery in November to remove a growth on his lip as he'd made it bleed when chewing on one of his toys. The vet initially believed it was nothing to worry about. Now on the same site a cluster of six wart looking growths have appeared and seem to multiply every few days. We're reluctant to take him back for surgery as it's not something we can afford right now and the recovery period was traumatic. Is there anything I can do either naturopathicly or homeopathicly?
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/20/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He's developed a liking for the bark mulch we have around our yard which is probably a cesspool of bacteria. This may contribute to or cause the growths.

I’m sorry to hear about your fellow Buddy.

Do his lumps look like this?

http://crvetcenter.com/oldsite/papill1.jpg

If so these are probably contagious viral warts (papillomatosis). These are considered a contagious, sexually transmitted disease caused by a virus and contracted when a dog mates with or licks/sniffs a dog that is affected by them. They can be passed by casual contact too between dogs that are playing together or sniffing each other. They tend to be found on the lips, eyelids, inside the mouth, on the footpads, and in the genital area. They are not contagious to people but they are extremely contagious to other dogs. As such he should be kept away from other dogs so out of doggy day care and dog parks.

In most cases these benign tumors resolve with no therapy needed at all in weeks to months. Rarely these can transform into a malignant variant and don't resolve. These need to be removed surgically with wide margins. If the warts are getting ulcerated, interfere with eating or become uncomfortable we can use an antibiotic, Azithromycin, for 10 to 14 days which seems to hasten their resolution.

If you'd like to read more please see this link for an in-depth article about contagious warts in dogs: http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Health-Center/Skin-Disorders/Warts.aspx

In short he likely picked up the virus somewhere. Generally with immune system maturity they resolve without treatment, but it sounds like that isn't happening for him. For whatever reason his immune system is not able to control this virus. There isn't any over the counter supplement that will help him unfortunately. He does need to see a veterinarian. But perhaps a fresh eye on him with a new veterinarian would be best if you aren't pleased with how things went with his first veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. The link you've provided for the image doesn't have anything. Do you have another image I can view? Thanks

I'm so sorry the link isn't working.

Give me a few minutes to find another for you.

Here's one:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fY2ZSFxtrlE/TDvgWS_06FI/AAAAAAAABAQ/COi-0I8Xs4U/s1600/bogart+5+1-2+mos+warts+2.jpg

Here's another:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/dtcary/Codie/Bigwartand2smallonesaug82010.jpg

One more: http://www.vet.bc.ca/sites/site-1558/images/Dermatology/ab19e29b-7f00-0001-03dd-04943a2afb23.jpg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pretty similar but just on outer lip at the moment. So giving him echinacea won't help to boost his immune system? (I'm trying to avoid the dreaded antibiotic road).
Also, we've had our daughter's malamute/husky stay with us the past two weeks. He didn't appear to have any growths but I should get him checked over too?

Echinacea is pretty good for stimulating localized immune response in the respiratory tract (I love it and take at the first sign of a cold or the flu), but it isn't very effective stimulating the immune system to fight canine viral warts.

Some dogs have good immune protection and response and if they are exposed they may never show any lesions. These tend to be healthy adult dogs. Puppies are much more likely to get viral warts, but any dog of any age can develop warts if exposed. It's possible your daughter's dog won't develop them or he may develop them in a few weeks.

I would try to keep the two separated now that you know your fellow is carrying a contagious disease.

It won't hurt to have him checked too.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks so much. I'll get him booked in now.

You are very welcome, best of luck.

Hi Nan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian