Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I HAVE A GERMAN SHEPARD WHO HAS BEEN DIAGNOSE WITH DM SHE

Customer Question
HAS LOSE TOTAL USE OF...
I HAVE A GERMAN SHEPARD WHO HAS BEEN DIAGNOSE WITH DM SHE HAS LOSE TOTAL USE OF HER HIND LEGS BUT IS ABLE TO MOVE AROUND WITH HER FRONT LEGS.OTHER THAN THAT SHE IS STILL THE SAME CHYNA I ALWAYS KNOWN BUT AM I BEING MEAN FOR LETTING STAY HOW CAN I TELL WHEN IT IS TIME TO PUT HER DOWN SHE IS ALMOST 10 YRS OLD
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: MY DOG WAS DIGANOSE WITH DM IN APRIL 2016 SHE HAS LOSE ALL USE OF HER HIND LEGS BUT SHE IS ABLE TO USE HER FRONT
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/19/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry for this diagnosis, I am sure it has been difficult to digest this information and watch your beloved Chyna progress.

I can give you some handouts to help with this terrible decision. Often we look at quality of life as whether they are still doing any of their favorite things, whether it be a favorite toy or treat, sitting with you while on the couch, barking at the neighbors to name a few. In addition, do they still have the "light" in their eyes, meaning are they still responsive to their environment and you or are they dull, listless, and fading away?

Quality of life assessment handout: http://www.peacefulpetdepartures.com/quality-of-life-assessment/

Pain assessment handout: http://www.csuanimalcancercenter.org/assets/files/csu_acute_pain_scale_canine.pdf

I know this is a terribly difficult decision to make and I hope this information is helpful. Some areas in the country do have hospice care that can help guide you in this decision making process. There is a list of options below for you to review:

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/diagnostic-and-support/argus/pet-hospice/Pages/pet-hospice-resources.aspx

I too have had GSD for 30+ years and DM is one of the diseases that is incredibly challenging because their heart and brain are still so present yet their body is declining. It really can be a challenge to determine what is the best decision and knowing if she is having more bad versus good days in quality of life is key

Please let me know anything I can do to assist you both in this difficult decision. Any questions or concerns I can assist with to clarify how to make this decision please don't hesitate to ask and please disregard any automated follow up questions by the site

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. I am online another 30 minutes tonight

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian