Dog Veterinary

I have a 5 yr old toy poodle. Past 24 hrs. lack of appetite,

Hi. I have...

Hi. I have a 5 yr old toy poodle. Past 24 hrs. lack of appetite, diarrhea, and panting. Seems clingy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the toy poodle?

Not eating. ... Read full answer

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the toy poodle?

Not eating. Diarrhea. Panting. Doesn't even want treat. Clingy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the toy poodle?

Had a dead bird in his mouth last day or two.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the toy poodle's name?

Brick

2/7/2017
Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian

Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is Brick vomiting?

Is he drinking any water and holding it down?

Does he seem uncomfortable when you palpate (gentle squeeze) his belly?

He will lick water from my finger but not drink from bowl. Normally has somewhat dry poop but now verging on runny. Just wants to be held.

Thank you for the reply.

Has he been vomiting over the last 24 hours?

I noticed 1 small spot of what looked like bile yesterday but haven't seen any more.I can hear faint gurgling sounds coming from his stomach.

Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that Brick is not feeling well. His symptoms are definitely concerning since he is not eating, is having diarrhea, and is panting. Without examining him, giving you an exact diagnosis is going to be difficult though I can tell you some of the more common disorders that could be affecting him:

- Ingesting something out of the ordinary that has caused an upset stomach such as the bird though it does not sound like he swallowed any of it
- Eating a foreign object that has become stuck in his stomach or his intestines
- Pancreatitis which is an inflammatory disorder of the pancreas which can make dogs quite uncomfortable
- An organ disorder such as kidney or liver disease
- A viral or bacterial infection in his stomach/intestines

At this point if he will not drink water then I would honestly recommend taking him to a vet. These symptoms are concerning that he is quite sick at this point therefore a vet is really needed to examine him and to give him some fluids and an injectable medication to help stop his diarrhea. The panting is an indication of discomfort in his abdomen which is a sign that an exam is needed.

I can understand that taking him to vet is not always possible therefore if you cannot get him to a vet tonight I would recommend trying to get him to drink some fluids.

I would try to use an oral syringe to give him some pedialyte or even some low sodium chicken broth. You can give him about 5 cc every 30-60 minutes to try to rehydrate him.

You can also give some pepcid AC to help with the stomach discomfort. This is very safe and virtually has no side effects. I would give him 2.5 mg for every 10 pounds of weight every 24 hours. This medication usually comes in 10 mg per tablet. You can get this medication from a local drug or grocery store over the counter.

I would hold off on food though until he is drinking better up to about 8-12 hours. After that, my recommendation would be to feed some boiled ground beef or boiled chicken breasts with cooked rice. Two parts rice to one part meat. Feed this until he is back to normal. This is very easy for him to digest and should help reduce inflammation in the stomach/intestines.

Overall if he will not drink at all then he really should be taken to the vet as he will need fluids to prevent him from getting seriously dehydrated.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply. If you are completely satisfied then you can select a rating.

Thank you,

Dr. Matt

Thank you. I will do those things.

You are very welcome - I hope he feels much better soon!

Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
For the past 4-5 days my 8 1/2 yr. old Lab has not been
For the past 4-5 days my 8 1/2 yr. old Lab has not been sleeping at night or taking her regular naps during the day--she just keeps getting up and moving from place to place. She sleeps with me at nig… read more
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
Veterinary Nurse,
I wanted to upload a video. My toy poodle is panting pretty
I wanted to upload a video. My toy poodle is panting pretty bad, We are traveling so not in our normal climate … read more
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara
Small animal practicioner,
He had some significant diarrhea earlier while I was at work
He had some significant diarrhea earlier while I was at work and has been panting since I got home from work. That was 2 hrs ago … read more
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
Veterinary Nurse,
Stop searching for answers—
Very little drinking, panting, extremely clingy and wants to
Very little drinking, panting, extremely clingy and wants to hide. Very not like his general personality … read more
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson
veterinarian,
My 8 month old 10 pound poodle came inside with a dead mouse
my 8 month old 10 pound poodle came inside with a dead mouse inner mouth. Been dead a while. She is acting a bit off now and I think breathing a bit more rapidly than usual. She is eating ok and has j… read more
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dog Veterinarian,
My toy poodle just ate a whole bird. The bird was midsize.
My toy poodle just ate a whole bird. The bird was midsize. … read more
Veterinarian,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Diarrhea and large urination over past week intermittent,
Diarrhea and large urination over past week intermittent b … read more
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara
Small animal practicioner,
My dog wont eat, is very clingy, seems uncomfortable. He bunches up blankets and la
My dog won't eat, is very clingy, seems uncomfortable. He bunches up blankets and lays across them and it looks like he might be peeing but he's not. He also was panting for no reason… read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
My dog tried to eat a frog and the poison got in his mouth.
My dog tried to eat a frog and the poison got in his mouth. I rinsed it with water but in the process he drank the poison because I didn't do it correctly. We then took him to the vet. They also rinse… read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
I have a two pound toy poodle, 7 months old who has had 3 bouts
I have a two pound toy poodle, 7 months old who has had 3 bouts of diarrhea in the last 18 hours. I'm sure this is due to changing his food too suddenly. Normally I would starve the dog for 24 and the… read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
My toy poodle threw up alot during the night last night......mostly
My toy poodle threw up alot during the night last night......mostly clear , frothy.....but alot! This morning he would not eat but did drink some water. He has been very clingy today, wants to be held… read more
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Veterinarian,
Hi, I feed my dog (rough coat collie, 7 years old) breakfast
Hi, I feed my dog (rough coat collie, 7 years old) breakfast at 10:15 AM. He vomited about 2 – 2:30 this afternoon, and the food didn't appear to be digested at all. This is not new food, but the kibb… read more
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Veterinarian, DABVP Canine/Feline,
Stop searching for answers—
toy poodle: appetite..poo..seem to have diarrhea -shes just listless
My toy poodle has had this before. She woke up with no appetite, and after doing her usual poo, a mucusy pink mass followed. (pink caused by bowel irritation?) However she doesn't seem to have diarrhe… read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
MYSTERY ILLNESS. PANTING - WET NOSE - DOESNT WANT TO LIE DOWN - PACING BACK AND FOR
MYSTERY ILLNESS. PANTING - WET NOSE - DOESN'T WANT TO LIE DOWN - PACING BACK AND FORTH. APPETITE GOOD YHIS A M ...NO CLUE GOLDEN RETRIEVER… read more
Veterinarian,
My 5 year old Cocker spaniel is acting very weird. He has over
My 5 year old Cocker spaniel is acting very weird. He has over the last 2 weeks pooped all over his bed, pooped in the house twice and urinated on the floor yesterday. He has show acts of aggression i… read more
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Large and small animal Veterinarian,
black lab: 8 weeks old..eating rocks and licking the mortar..chewing
We have a black lab puppy whom we got when he was 8 weeks old. He will be 16 weeks this Tuesday. The problem is he is eating rocks and licking the mortar of our fireplace and chewing on the bricks. We… read more
Dr. Vee
Dr. Vee
Emergency Veterinarian, Instructor,
my dog is anxious, shaking, and panting even though it is cold.
my dog is anxious, shaking, and panting even though it is cold. she has been anxious and whiney for the past 3 days.… read more
Veterinarian,
standard poodle: times and panting..her nose..her energetic pace..tick
our 9 yr old female standard poodle has become 'glued to my side' in the past 48 hours. she awoke this morning and was trembling at times and panting off and on though she has not been active/running … read more
Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa