Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

The puppies that I am fostering are 31/2 weeks old being

bottle fed I believe one...
The puppies that I am fostering are 31/2 weeks old being bottle fed I believe one has aspiration pneumonia I know he is lethargic tongue is pale and he has no interest in eating just sleeping please help
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No I called our local vet and can't afford the after hour vet. I have keflex here can I use that? I know most of the time they give amoxicillin
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I know last week during feeding he started to cough.but has been fine and today I noticed he has not been doing well
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/5/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm so sorry that this foster pup isn't doing well.

Can you take his temperature?

Can you tell me how much he weighs?

What is the milligram size of the Keflex that you have?

Thanks, Deb

The capsule is 250 mg I know I need to open it up and break it down which I Already gave a dose hoping it works. I poured it out put .75 ml formula mixed it gave him .25 ml . He weighs around a pound. Hope that was a good dose. And I don't have a thermometer here. After an hour after giving the dose he livened up and ate but then choked a gain I am trying to get his strength up so he will eat the food mix. I figured I would get my nebulizer and give him a treatment do you think this would help.

Keflex is an acceptable choice of antibiotic for puppies and is actually more broad spectrum than Amoxicillin would be. Many vets would suggest Clavamox but Keflex will do if this is all you have. The dose would be 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day which is obviously going to be quite a small amount for a puppy this little.

I do think a nebulizer is a good idea to be followed by coupage.

I don't know if you're familiar with the concept or term "coupage" but this may also help loosen up secretions in his lungs. You'll want to gently pat both sides of his chest for a minute or so several times a day.

I understand about not being able to take his temperature but it's always good to double check in these situations. If it's below normal which is going to be about 100.5 for a puppy this age, then you'll want to warm him up before feeding him. The intestines don't work well with sub-normal temperatures.

If it's elevated, higher than 102.0, then you'll want to apply a cool compress to his body to cool him down a bit.

If you've done foster work before, then I probably don't have to tell you that puppies this age don't have a lot of reserves and can go downhill pretty quickly despite everything that we try to do for them but I'll be hoping that your intensive management will be enough.

Deb

Unfortunately, I need to step away from my computer to help a neighbor who has health issues. I'm sorry for the inconvenience especially if you have additional questions about this situation.

Other thoughts that I had were that you don't want to use cough suppressants which you may already know but I just wanted to mention it to be complete.

Keeping him hydrated will be important so even if he's not eating on his own, I might dribble pedialyte into the side of his mouth where there's a gap every hour or so.

I'll be thinking of you both and sending positive thoughts your way that he makes it. Again, my apologies for needing to log off. Deb

Thank you so much for all your advise

You're more than welcome.

Please keep me posted tomorrow about him if you have a chance. I'd very much like to know how he's doing. Best of luck. Deb

the baby is starting to eat just really picky, his tongue is turning pinker, eyes are open wider, and he is moving around more but still weak which is understandable. The crud in his lungs are now more audible so I am thinking that it is starting to break loose. ���� I am still holding my breath hoping for the best since he is so young and he is the runt. Good thing is he doesn't show signs of dehydration the scruff of his neck is not tenting thank god.

I can't thank you enough for the update since I've been thinking about him all day!

I know he's not out of the woods yet but at least he's made it through another day. It sounds as if he's a fighter which is always a plus in these situations.

Continued best wishes that he continues to slowly, but surely, continues to improve. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

He's adorable:)

You're more than welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I hope you'll continue to keep me posted about Nitro when you have the time; I'd very much like to know how he does. Even though you've rated, we can continue to communicate about him at no additional charge to you.

I'm getting ready to head to bed so I'll wish you and the babies a good night:) Deb

Good night have a great night

Thanks; you as well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Sorry it has taken me this long to answer but yes nitro is doing fine was able to take him to the vet today with his litter mates for the worming. He checked his lungs he said he sounds good considering wher he was at, and we asked for the correct medicine. Nitro weighs a big one pound fou ounces lol. His litter mates are all two pounds and over. So we have high hopes for him to come out doing just fine. The vet said we are doing great with all of them. Thank you so much for the advise and reassurance

No apologies necessary; I know you've got your hands full:)

I can't tell you how happy it makes me to know that Nitro is doing so well which is clearly a testament to your care and his spirit. It would seem that miracles do happen now and again, after all:)

Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian