Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions
Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.
I'm sorry to hear that your pup ingested 2000 IU of vitamin D-3.
Your pup is 4-5 pounds, which is 1.82-2.27kgs (there are 2.2 pounds per kilogram)
A toxic dose of D-3 is 0.5mg per kilogram of body weight or 0.9-1.16mgs for your pup (0.5mg/kg X 1.82 kgs = 0.9 mgs, 0.5mg/kgs X 2.27kg = 1.13mgs)
2,000 IU = 50 micrograms = 0.05mgs (milligrams) of D-3 as there are 1,000 micrograms per milligram. Since 0.05mgs is less than 0.9mgs, she ate less than a toxic dose.
Your pup should be fine, other than possibly some mild stomach upset.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
You are very welcome, have a great night.