Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just started giving birth. She gave birth to one

Customer Question
puppy who is moving around...
My dog just started giving birth. She gave birth to one puppy who is moving around and has already latched on and eaten some. There is now what looks like possibly her placenta sticking out but she is resting with her baby. Is it possible thee are no more or can she just be too exhausted?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Good job on the photo. That looks like a fluid filled membrane sac / placenta that is passing. That doesn't look like afterbirth as it isn't in a sac like that. I would have to say that my suspicion is high that there is another (more than one) puppy to be passed. It is good that the first one is nursing and doing well. I would say that if nothing is happening in the next hour with her progressing with delivery, then she should be evaluated as that next one may be stuck. Sometimes with these little one's, the uterine contractions can just become weak.

Here is a good link on whelping puppies.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She just had another one!!

Great! Sounds like she's doing pretty well with the deliveries and her motherly duties! Hopefully she continues to do well!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What signs or distress should I look out for? She has had 3 so far. What should I be looking for in terms to the puppies?

As far as with mom, the biggest thing I have owners watch for is regular, hard contractions going on for over 60 minutes with no puppies being produced. This is a sign that one may be stuck. AS far as the puppies, more than likely they will be nursing every couple hours and sleeping a lot as mom does her thing. Try to make sure the whelping box is set up so they can't get separated from the others.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She just had a 4th

She is going to be a busy mom!

Hi Nicole,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian