Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Salkin; can you tell me how famotidine works for dogs? I'm…

For Dr. Michael Salkin; hi...
For Dr. Michael Salkin; hi can you tell me how famotidine works for dogs? I'm trying to control stomach acid in my puppy Yogi and the vet said to give him up to 3 tabs per day of 10 mg of famotidine. He vomits sometimes before breakfast and also dinner. I'd like to know how to time it. Is it a medicine that builds in the system and becomes preventative or does it help for a specific amount of time? Do I need to give it a certain amount of time before a meal?
2/1/2017
Camille-Mod
Dr. Salkin is away on vacation and he may not be able to get your question very soon, depending upon his internet access. Would you like to wait for him or shall I open your question to other experts?
Thank you,
Camille-Mod
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Hi Corey, I'm in New Zealand! Famotidine is an effective antacid in dogs when given 30 minutes prior to the desired effect. It can be given at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb up to twice daily. It doesn't build up in Yogi's system. I'll be out hiking but should be online a bit in 12 hours.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wondered if you were away now! How is it? Its so exciting - how crazy you can be so far away and can talk like youre only the typical 3000 miles away!!! Just wondered if you had any thoughts on this - of course you know I'm concerned because of Rerun - is it typical for a dog so young to have signs of acid reflux? I would just like to know if there are other things that I should be doing besides Pepcid or instead of. He only vomits stomach acid when his stomach is empty typically right before meals and about 2-4 times per month. How would you treat this?

It's so infrequently, I'd see how a 10 day trial of twice daily famotidine affects him. No, it's neithe common nor normal so if this behavior continues, I'd want to X-rays +/- barium swallow to get a good look at his esophagus.

New Zealand is gorgeous. I'm hiking into the bush and into temperature rain forests with 8 others.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you I will watch it. I hate to do medicine because he only vomits a few times a month but will try for 10 and stop and see how it is. I hope you are having a wonderful time!!!
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian