Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Type your Dog Veterinary question here. I have a 3 yr old

Type your Dog Veterinary question here. I have a 3 yr old dachshund she has been acting like her mouth is very dry and it's like her tongue is sticking to the roof of her mouth and very bad breath should I be alarmed

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Did she get into anything?

3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
About 2 days she didn't get into anything that I'm aware of no vomiting diarrhea or coughing also breath smells very bad

I am sorry, I can not make a live call. But, I will be happy to answer your question on this thread. Or, I can opt out so another expert can help you. Please let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is this something I should be concerned about I am extremely upset over her and I would appreciate some advice

1- Can you open her mouth to make sure there is nothing stuck under the tongue, gums, teeth, etc.?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is nothing stuck in her mouth
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If not you can somebody else please help
me

When a dog tongue smacking like dry mouth this could be a sign of many different medical conditions. It will not be possible for me to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination, I am sorry. But, common causes are a sign of distress if they are uncomfortable either within the gastrointestinal tract or somewhere in the body (full anal glands), dental disease, nausea, etc. to name a few causes. In this case, unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home, I am sorry. I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for hands-on examination. In the meantime, you can start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours, this will help if this is related to nausea. You can buy Pepcid AC (famotidine) over the counter in any pharmacy.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter