Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

One anal sac was really enlarged and protruding so the vet

Customer Question

One anal sac was really enlarged and protruding so the vet drained it and cleaned it. Gave him an antibiotic shot and I'm giving him antibiotics 2x per day for 4 weeks. I'm cleaning it once a day with a spray he gave me. I'm supposed to go back once a week for 3 weeks to have the anal sac expressed and checked. I wasn't given any pain meds. We are on day 3. I just want to know what is normal for his recovery. Day one he was just laying around not moving much. Every day he's gotten a little better about walking around but he is still mostly laying around. This whole time he's been eating. The first day or 2 I had to bring the food to him but now he's getting up to eat like he normally does. He's also pooped with no issue. Just concerned because he's definitely laying low. The wound looks OK, and he's not trying to lick it etc... Is it appropriate that he isn't acting completely like himself? I would think it normal to be very sore down there but just want to make sure.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: And THANK YOU! He is a 10 year old, 50 lb Labradoodle.
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: YES
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the animal?
Customer: No. He doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain. He's just reluctant to be walking around.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- What are the names of the medication he is on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?