Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog's poo was a dark purple colour this morning. I have a photo I could send, if possible. Herman and he is 3, He is a

Customer Question
His poo was a dark...
His poo was a dark purple colour this morning. I have a photo I could send, if possible.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Herman and he is 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Herman?
Customer: He is a pug King Charles cross and recently another dog I adopted moved in. Could he be stressed?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Has Herman had access to anything darkly pigmented (ie food, chews, etc)? Or anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Can you post your photo for me to check? To do so, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Thank you,

I have seen the photo but it gives me more an impression of black stool.

Therefore, can you tell me:

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
His tummy seems fine.
I have attached a photograph of his gums. I think they're pretty pink? I think they're sticky rather than moist, but I'm not sure. I felt them after he had been sleeping so maybe I should feel them again tomorrow to check.

Thank you again,

Now when we see dark stools in dogs, we need to tread with care. This is because we can certainly see this color from something they've eaten (ie chews, raw diet, etc) or some medications (ie Pepto, Activated charcoal, etc) but if he hasn't had those then we'd be concerned that the black/dark discoloration is actually a sign of blood in the gut. Bleeding in the stomach or upper intestine can arise form stomach trauma, ulcers, or bleeding masses. And it appears black since the lower GI digests the blood as it passes through.

With this in mind, we'd want to review what Herman has had access to. If he has had any of the above, then we can breathe a sigh of relief and monitor. If he hasn't (and since his gums are thankfully pink), we can monitor but would want to also consider an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)] to reduce his stomach acid levels. Alternatively, you also can have his vet dispense Sucralfate which will coat any ulcers to help them heal. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and is given ever 12 hours. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Further to that, to give his stomach acid something else to chew, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free).

Overall, we need to tread with care here. Since his gums are normal and Herman is otherwise well, we'd want to keep a close eye on his situation. If we find this is a one-off or he has had one of those stool color changing items, then we can breathe a sigh of relief. Otherwise, we'd want to keep an eye out for any more discoloured stool and use the above over the weekend with a view to a check up once his vet is open to head off any of those worries.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian