Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 15 yr old dachshund has had two unattached fat tumors.

Customer Question
She suddenly developed a outcropping...
My 15 yr old dachshund has had two unattached fat tumors. She suddenly developed a outcropping of fruits next to the one. They seem to be spreading. I can't get her into the vet until Monday.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dachshund's name?
Customer: Rosie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rosie?
Customer: She has seasonal allergies and cedar is at all time highs right now. She has done is swelling in her legs.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry fruit should be lesions or growths.
1/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a few pictures of what you're seeing?

It would be worthwhile to have Rosie examined as this is not a normal occurrence, with allergies or with fatty tumors. The tumors also seem to be open and oozing, so your vet will likely want to utilize a course of preventive antibiotics, may give you directions on keeping the area dressed and also want to sample some of the cells in this area for microscopic evaluation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We can't get in until Monday. We have been spraying vetericyn on it and covering it with non stick gauze. It is very odd and sudden.

I agree and worth having examined. I think you are doing the right thing with the vetericyn. At very least it should prevent infection. The night before you intend to have the area examined, clean the area with a mild soap, rinse, pat dry and do NOT apply the spray. You'll want to ensure the area is well prepped without the vetericyn interfering with any diagnostics your vet may wish to perform.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian