Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

She ate a 37.5 MG venlafaxine, Dakota 5 to 6 mos, 5 to 6

Customer Question

She ate a 37.5 MG venlafaxine
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dakota 5 to 6 mos
JA: How old is Dakota?
Customer: 5 to 6 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dakota?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

How much does Dakota weigh?

How long ago did she eat this?

Is she showing any abnormal signs now?

Do you have 3% hydrogen peroxide?

Was this the regular formulation or the extended release formula?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Roughly 35 lbs 25 min ago not sure on the other 2 question I think regular though
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

If she is a small dog (less than 25-30 pounds), just ate this pill (within the past hour or so) and she seems to be behaving normally so far it may be worth trying to get her to vomit the pills back up.

You can give her 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight directly with a medicine syringe or turkey baster, or soaked up with bread chunks or mixed with ice cream.

Then take her outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so it irritates her stomach lining and she vomits.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.

If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pills are present.

We see toxicity signs at 2mg to 3mg per kilogram of body weight, or roughly 1mg per pound of body weight. Given that she is 35 pounds and ingested at least 37.5mgs she technically ingested a toxic dose, but just over the toxic limit.

So she may show mild effects

Side effects include lethargy or paroxysmal (opposite effect) extreme agitation, and at a dose of 35mg per kilogram (16mgs per pound of body weight, or 560mgs for a 35 pound dog) we can see seizures.
If you don't have peroxide or she doesn't vomit the pills with the peroxide given then get her to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.

You would see signs of toxicity some time within 30 minutes to 6 hours after ingestion.

If she begins behaving strangely at all DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING, she should be taken to an emergency immediately.

At the emergency clinic they can also give him activated charcoal to minimize any leftover pill ingestion and fluids to flush the toxin out of his body as well as drugs to treat hyper-excitability, tremors or seizures should they occur.

Best of luck with your little one, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the pill was a gel cap will making her puke help or not
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Yes, if you can get at least some of the pill out I think it will help.

As long as she isn't showing symptoms already.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thanks, ***** *****