Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 5# minpin mix ate 1 50mg prion she must have found it

Customer Question

My 5# ***** mix ate 1 50mg prion she must have found it today when I was at work. My lg dog takes it for bladder control. I think I put one down last night but could not remember if I gave it to the big dog. That is the only thing I can think of. She is vomiting and overall not feeling well.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chloe and she is 6yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?
Customer: No I don't think so. I am just concerned and not sure what to do. She did vomit on her own, but she is definitely not feeling well.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

50 mg/2.3 kg (5 lbs) = 21.7 mg/kg - a 10X overdose which can cause severe cardiovascular (hypertension to rebound hypotension, bradycardias to tachycardias (slow to rapid heart rates), and cardiovascular collapse) or central nervous system effects (stimulation to coma). I would be more comfortable knowing that Chloe were attended to by a vet at this time. Her heart needs to be carefully auscultated (listened to) and her systemic blood pressure assessed.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you I will take her to our vet.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She is fine. No issues and back to being her crazy little self. Thank you for following up.

Good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.