Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My Akita got into a tussle with my small terrier. Kids say

My Akita got into a tussle with my small terrier. Kids say Akita pinned terrier with her paws on his back. Small abraision on terrier nose but he yelps when trying to touch his neck. We have him dog aspirin and works for a number of hours then back to the yelp again. Any thoughts?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: Max age 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: No. perfectly healthy, active, energetic. He has full range of motion with his limbs and perfectly fine when taking aspirin. Until it wears off. I am assuming soreness.

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When did the injury happen? How often are you giving the aspirin? After how many hours does the aspirin pain effect wear off?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Event occurred 3 days ago. We give aspirin every 8-12 hours. It seems that effects of aspirin wear off after 6 hours. In between he behaves like nothing happened.

Ok great. I would think if it was a very serious injury the aspirin would only help a little bit and he would not behave normally on the aspirin.

So you have a few options.

You could take him to a vet and get something stronger than aspirin as well as a muscle relaxer.

Or you can keep doing the aspirin for 2-3 more days.

Try alternating a hot pack and a cold pack on his neck. 20 minutes each twice a day.

Elevate his food so he does not have to reach down to eat or drink.

When you take him for a walk use a harness so there is no pressure on the neck.

If he is still needing aspirin 2-3 days from now then he should definitely see a vet.

Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions for me now?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No that is all. Thank you Doc. I will continue aspirin with alternating hot and cold packs and if symptoms persist by the end of the week I will take him to the vet. How many hours between doses of aspirin should I do. Every 6 or 8 hours?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry I guess that was not all. My apologies.

The aspirin should only have to be given every 12 hours.

It should also be given with food to help prevent gastrointestinal upset.

So if he is really painful after 6-8 hours he should see a vet and then get something that will be more effective or last longer than aspirin.

No worries, ask away...

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok that is all. Thank you very much!! Have a good day.

You are very welcome.

Enjoy your day as well.

: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby