Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Panting heavely, disoriented, confused 17 years old Terrior,

Customer Question
panting heavely, disoriented, confused...
panting heavely, disoriented, confused 17 years old Terrior
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A dog
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Panting heavly, disoriented. 17 year old Terrior
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: No where
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: Confusion
JA: Is the dog eating normally?
Customer: No refuses treats
JA: Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?
Customer: Goes a lot because of age
JA: How is the dog behaving differently?
Customer: Confused and panting
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Emmy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Emmy?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I"m sorry to hear of this with Emmy. Disorientation and confusion are signs of a mentation (mental status) change indicating encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving the forebrain (cerebrum and thalamus). Disorders within the brain such as brain tumor (important at Emmy's advanced age) and outside the brain such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys (hepatoencephalopathy or uremic encephalopathy, respectively) need to be considered as well. Emmy vet will want to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam in the attempt to identify a disorder outside Emmy's brain in the hopes that it can be managed in a conservative manner. Disorders in the brain itself require MRI to identify - advanced imaging not indicated at 17 years of age.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian