Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a chihuahua that has a neck would that keeps draining

Customer Question
blood tinged fluid. Couldn't get...
I have a chihuahua that has a neck would that keeps draining blood tinged fluid. Couldn't get a vet until tomorrow. How can I clean it and keep it dry. He's only 3 pounds
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: He eats and drinks fine And is on Meloxicam since the surgery
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: It started with a vet teeth cleaning, then the dog started to have clear drooling so the vet surgically removed
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name?
Customer: The salivary gland. A drain was put in and then it got infected. I took the dog to an emergency vet hospital where they said he has tonsil cancer. I'm trying to keep the dog comfortable but ithis surgery site just isn't healing.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: It's been a challenge to keep the neck area of such a little dog dry.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are many reasons for this area to still be draining. The good news is that if the discharge is clear with some blood, then the infection is under control. If there were an infection, the discharge would be yellow and/or foul smelling. The only thing you can do at this point until your vet can examine your sweet guy is to clean this every 4-6 hrs with peroxide and then place a wrap with gauze and tape to keep this area clean. The discharge can cause skin irritation, making this worse so this will require some daily care to keep this area clean and dry. Most likely, there is still some damaged tissue that needs to come out which is why there is still a discharge and this will resolve once the area can heal.

Keep gauze on this area so it can pick up the drainage and then change this as often as it needs to be to keep it clean and dry.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian