Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 9 year old Beagle mix (male). I'm not familiar with

I have a 9 year...
I have a 9 year old Beagle mix (male). I'm not familiar with dogs so I'm not sure if it is normal if the sides of his jaw, near the back and under the eye (cheek?) is supposed to feel like a hard lump.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the beagle's name?
Customer: Jake
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jake?
Customer: He eats dry food/treats without a problem and he's adopted.
1/10/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Beagle mix dog.

If the lumps you feel are the same on both sides, it might be enlarged lymph nodes. The largest tooth in a dog's mouth sits on the cheeks, below the eye, so he could have an infection or tartar on those teeth. I would have your veterinarian feel these lumps, check his teeth and his lymph nodes. Enlarged lymph nodes can also be a sign of tooth disease. Let me know what other questions you have about him.

The response was quick and helpful

You are welcome! Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian