jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My 9 year old border terrier is obsessed with the back

Customer Question

My 9 year old border terrier is obsessed with the back corner of the yard, particularly at night, barks paces up and won, wont come inside even to eat.
Ativan (.5mg) has helped at night but feel she needs something that last longer to calm her down.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 6 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Are you in a rural area, suburb or city?

What is outside the fence in that area?

Hi again,

I was hoping to get a response to my information request but also want you to have an answer. The most likely cause for this would be a critter. Often ground dwelling critters are under the surface and while we don't know they are there, your dog would. Often these critters do tend to be along the fence lines, under flower beds and around tree roots. Many of these critters are nocturnal so it does make sense that she is more obsessed at night.

Now they do make some devices that can help drive these types of animals away.

http://www.yoursolarlink.com/solar-products/solar-powered-ultrasonic-pest-control-device-set-of-2

In addition, predator urine spread in that area can help keep smaller animals away and can also keep your dog away from that area as well. You can see predator urine here:

https://www.predatorpee.com/

Unfortunately if it is a prey animal or critter leading to her behavior, the only way of correcting it is to rid the area of the critter. Training won't really do much.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.