Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog had major surgery 3 Wks ago. Bladder ruptured and had

to reroute his pee hole...
My dog had major surgery 3 Wks ago. Bladder ruptured and had to reroute his pee hole. Noticed that he's had a bloated tummy this past week and just started wheezing today and snoring last night. It sounds very fluidly Or loose and not sure if this is a cold or kennel cough. He did not get his b-tel shot last year and not sure if these are symptoms of that. He has only been eating variety baby food and treats for the last 3 wks since surgery and we had to wait for lab results to come back. He had calcium oxcillate stones that were found from the labs. He's had a pretty bad last 3 weeks and hoping this is just part of recooperation. This has been rough to watch and thought the hard part was over but now he's wheezing like he's got a cold with tummy bloat. Please advise! Thx
1/10/2017
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Holt. Did this wheezing only just start today? What happened to Holt to cause the ruptured bladder? Is he eating and drinking normally at the moment?

I will wait to hear from you,

Dr E

Eating normal. His bladder ruptured during his surgery 3 wks ago but was patched up at the time of surgery. Wheezing just started today and onset of snoring for the first time last night

Thanks for that - I'm replying now. Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Holt's combination of symptoms is definitely concerning here, and while these could all be related, it is less likely. It is good to hear he is up to date with his vaccinations, but even so, kennel cough is a combination of different virii and bacteria and we can't vaccinate for all of them, so that could certainly be the cause here. Other possible causes include anything from a primary lung infection, heart or lung worm (hopefully he is up to date with treatment), a foreign body, or even a primary cardiovascular issue (which may also explain the swollen abdomen). The swollen abdomen itself could be related to the surgery, related to his bladder repair, or due to some other issue including anything from an enlarged organ, to constipation. Whatever the case, the immediate concern is how Holt is doing right now. If he is off food or not drinking properly, or if his breathing seems to be particularly affected, then you really should do what you can to get him seen tonight.

Hopefully he isn't too bad right now in which case getting him seen tomorrow by your regular vet (ideally the surgeon), is the next best step. Here they can carefully palpate his abdomen and take a fluid sample if fluid is felt in the abdomen. They may opt for an ultrasound to ensure the recovery and healing is going well and that this abdominal enlargement isn't related to the at. Likewise, they will also have a very careful listen to Holt's chest and palpate his throat to rule out some out some of the potential causes listed above.

For tonight, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully those parameters are all currently normal? Do you have any further questions?

Dr E

he appears to be doing well with the tests you had suggested as of now. No panting but just sounds congested. We have an appt tomorrow with our vet and hope we find the root of the cause. We took a video but the file is too large to send on to you but will make sure our vet sees it tomorrow. Thx so much for ur help. It's really been super helpful so we can hopefully sleep easier tonight.

No problem at all and hopefully he just continues to improve.

All the best,

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about Holt. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian