Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She vomits water with a little mucus every time she drinks

Customer Question

She vomits water with a little mucus every time she drinks water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. It is been going on for a couple of weeks. She also throws up food if she eats after drinking.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ellie she is a daushound mix. She is 4 Sorry 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ellie?
Customer: No. She is been in great health
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I'm reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

Does Elle gulp her food and water?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not really. I do think she drinks to much but not too fast

I'm sorry but I am logging off in a few minutes. I will opt out so that someone else can continue with you.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Vomiting or, possibly, regurgitation of such duration suggests a functional/anatomical disorder such as megaesophagus (a ballooning out of the normally rigid esophagus), both esophageal and cricopharyngeal achalasia (swallowing defects), hiatal hernia, or pyloric obstruction syndrome. Ellie's vet is likely to recommend X-rays +/- barium swallow in an attempt to spot such a problem. If megaesophagus is seen, further investigation for myasthenia gravis (a neuromuscular disorder) and Addison's disease (a metabolic disorder) is indicated.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.