Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has had a yeast infection in her ear for the first

my dog has had a...
my dog has had a nasty yeast infection in her ear for the first time in her life. She is now 5 years old. I am still trying to get rid of it with medication. My Vet is saying that if her ear canal is still pluged with wax when I see him next week- he could do a suction of the ear canal to remove it- but it needs to be done under sedation. I am REALLY nervous about having to put her under anesthesia. I just feel this is an extreme measure- but at the same time- I have known my Vet for over 20 years and Trust him completely. So I know he is NOT just trying to milk me for $$$- He is one of the most compassionate Vets on this planet and cares more about an animals wellbeing than anyone else I know. Do you know anything about this procedure. I am really nervous to have this done
1/10/2017
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? What medications has Cheyenne been on for the ear infection?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She has been on tresderm and an oral medication- (sorry I don't have the name of it). She was on the Tresderm for a week- but I noticed her ear flap was still inflamed- so I went back to the covering Vet yesterday and she advised I do another week on the Tresderm before I start the Flush (Trizultra Keto). I emailed my regular Vet tonight because I was concerned. He said that he could see me next Monday and that if the ear canal is still pluged with wax he could do that suction procedure. The yeast infection was first diagnosed December 28th- I went for a followup visit with my Vet on Jan 4th at which time he didn't see anymore yeast but advised I finish the medication then start the flush. But yesterday I noticed the ear flap was still red and inflamed- that's when I brought her in to see the covering Vet. So this whole ordeal has been going on for two weeks

Okay thanks for the additional information. Do you know if the oral medication was an antibiotic? Did your veterinarian to a ear cytology to determine that there was no yeast in the ear.? Regarding an ear flush procedure this is typically a procedure I would do on dogs that are either difficult to clean their ears or there ears are to painful to clean while there are awake. I typically don't do the ear flush if they are not responding to a particular medication. You may want to ask your veterinarian about trying a different ear medication besides tresaderm before sedating. Also you want to know if there was an bacterial infection in the ear as well because she may need antibiotics if she hasn't been on them yet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi- I don't think there was a bacterial infection going on- I believe it was only yeast. I;m sorry- I can't remember the name of the oral- but I think it was an antifungal. The ear flush was going to be done once the medications were all finished- Trizultra Keto is the name of the flush- it's a liquid to clean out the ear canal for two weeks. Do you know about the suction procedure for the ear was?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ear wax I meant to say

Basically it is a deep cleaning of the ear under sedation. Sometimes a special machine is used to provide the suction, other times a simple bulb syringe is used to remove debris from the ear. But typically I don't see that procedure performed for an irritated ear or ear infection unless several treatments with different medications have failed or the ears are challenging to clean either due to pain or temperament of the dog.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How safe is this procedure- I guess going under sedation is risky in itself. Hopefully when I see my Vet on Monday the ear is looking better and he will suggest cleaning any residual was with an ear flush instead of going to the suction. I really don't want to do the suction.

The procedure itself has minimal risks since it is just a deep ear cleansing. The sedation itself would be the main concern but if Cheyenne has bloodwork done and everything else looks good on her physical exam then the risks for problems with sedation can be low as well. It also depends on the type of sedation that is used. Many veterinarians use sedation that can be reversed which can be helpful with recovery.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks so much for your help. I actually tried "googling" this particular procedure on line- and couldn't find ANYTHING. I tried all different ways- but nothing came up. Does it have any particular name other than ear was suctioning..

You are welcome. Here is an example of the procedure on you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTVzbk4E8ng

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yuck..not the most pleasant thing to watch. thanks so much. This has been such a long ordeal and I feel so bad for my dog- I am VERY concerned about the head tilting and shaking that a hematoma may develop. The head tilting and shaking is ESPECIALLY apparent right after I apply the medication. THen it happens intermittently throughout the day although not nearly as frequently. Why does this happen? I am pretty sure she must be in pain. SHe also does a little scratching . I am VERY concerned about a hematoma developing. Could you tell me how likely this is to happen? Sorry for all the questions. We are back on the Tres a derm and have a follow up appointment on Monday Jan 16- but I am concerned about what could be going on with her in the interim.

You are welcome. Sorry it wasn't pleasant to watch. As far as the head tilting. Usually because there is fluid in the ears due to infection or application of the medication it can give the feeling of a heaviness in the ear for Cheyenne make her tilt her head. This will resolve once the infection can be cleared up. As far as a hematoma developing that will depend on how frequent or aggressive she shakes her head. If she is doing this a lot then I would be concerned of a hematoma developing.

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian