Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

What can give a 4 week old puppy for constipation, bella,

what can give a 4 week old puppy for constipation
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about bella?
Customer: she has been on milk replacer for 1 week

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Bella.

It may (or may not) surprise you to know that constipation issues are commonly seen problems in pups being fed milk replacers. In those situations, I recommend that more water be added to the formula (usually 25%) than the label suggests which usually eliminates this problem from developing.

I also usually suggest weaning puppies onto puppy food around 3-4 weeks of age

I don't like to use oral laxatives in pups this young although I'll often suggest them for older dogs.
So, what you can do is give her a gentle warm water enema which is very effective for loosening the firmer/harder stool in the colon. If you're not familiar with the procedure you'll take a small syringe (about 3 ml's) or possibly an eye dropper or something similar. Lubricate the end of it with K/Y or Vaseline or even cooking oil. Gently insert it about 1/4-1 inch (depending on the size of the pup) into the rectum and squirt the warm water into them. It may take several applications if she is badly constipated.

This is a very effective and yet safe method of resolving this problem.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you will try it

You're more than welcome.

Good luck, Deb