Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog Maggie is 8 years old and the last two days she has

Customer Question

My dog Maggie is 8 years old and the last two days she has not eaten. My brother is visiting with us and has 2 dogs who are fine. I did give my dog a flea pill to stop her from getting fleas about 5 days ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Maggie will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maggie?
Customer: She mostly just sits up and looks sad. When she goes out I have not noticed if she is having bowl movements or not. I have 5 acres and she has always gone to the back of our property to use the bath room.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is having such difficulties recently with appetite. It is possible the stress of the visitors or potentially ingesting something on the acreage is the cause of her lack of appetite.

- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible

- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with this

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. I would advise discussing with your vet possible causes of the reduced appetite and your vet will likely dispense an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to increase interest in eating again if possible

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman