Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our new puppy was born without a tail and has what appears

Customer Question
to be hip dysplasia. She...
Our new puppy was born without a tail and has what appears to be hip dysplasia. She keeps up with her brother but runs like a jackrabbit. Her rear legs don't allow her to sit normally.. what possible solutions or problems may arise?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have any x-rays been taken of her spine and hips?

Not yet. We picked up Ralph and Trixie before Christmas. They were born 10-31-2016
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Not needed phone request . Just big fingers.

That is going to be the most important diagnostic in determining what is wrong with Trixie's gait. If she does have hip dysplasia, chances are she will need to have joint supplements and NSAIDs over the course of her life. The lack of tail may be a sign that she has a congenital abnormality with one or more parts of her body, so a close examination would be very wise given the way that she runs.

As far as the short term, no, I think she will likely do fine as a puppy. As she grows problems may become more obvious. The gait she has may indicate more concerns than just hip dysplasia. For example, there's a congenital abnormality in puppies where the head of the femur (ball) does not fit into the hip (socket) because it never developed. We can see a similar gait in those puppies. The only way to know for sure what exists will be to have x-rays performed to see the condition of the bones involved.

Thanks

Sure thing. If I can help further just let me know.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian