Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 13 year old beagle has a sore paw. It looks like the pad

Customer Question
My 13 year old beagle...
My 13 year old beagle has a sore paw. It looks like the pad on his paw is red and swollen. I can't get him in the car to get him to the vet until he is able to walk on it somewhat. Is there something I can do for him to get it to a point where he gets some relief so that I can get him to the vet to have it checked?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the beagle?
Customer: He is overweight and gets frequent ear infections but otherwise is in good health. He is eating and drinking.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. To help with the inflammation and swelling, you can do warm epsom salt soaks of the food. A couple of tablespoons of epsom salt in a bowl of warm water and soak for 5 -10 minutes 2-3 times a day. You can also put some neopsporin with pain relief on the raw area and then put a sock over the foot to give it some time to work. Is he on any medications?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been giving him two low dose aspirins in the morning and at night to help with pain relief and inflammation....He is about 68 pounds.

By low dose, do you mean the 81 mg aspirin? You can give 10 mg/kg buffered aspirin by mouth twice daily. That would be 295 mg. Be sure to monitor his appetite and bowel movements. Aspirin can be very hard on the gastrointestinal tract and cause some ulceration. Please ask any follow up questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, then please take time to rate my response. Take care.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian