Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog is 13 yrs old and she is urinating in the house and

Customer Question

My dog is 13 yrs old and she is urinating in the house and licking it up afterwards. This is not her normal behavior
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daisy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: She has become more nervous and she will shake sometimes. And when giving something like a treat she grabs it more aggressively
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She had bladder stone a few years ago and they did surgery on her
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Daisy's new habit of urinating in the house and licking it up, along with some shaking and behaving more aggressively when handed a treat.

Ideally she would see her veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests including a complete blood count, biochemistry profile and urinalysis. Some dogs exhibit pica (eating or licking/biting non-food items) when they are anemic or sick and we do want to make sure that she is healthy and there is not a physical reason for her behavior. She could be anemic, or suffering from metabolic organ disease (kidney or liver disease, or diabetes). In some cases these symptoms can also be related to Cushing's disease (hyperadrenocorticism) which can cause an increase in appetite and secondary urinary tract infections.

There isn't much to be done for her at home in the meantime, other than promptly cleaning up her accidents so she doesn't lick them up.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thanks, ***** *****