Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

The time had come to have my 14 year old beloved dog put

The time had come to have my 14 year old beloved dog put down. The previous dog that was put down years ago went painlessly and peacefully. This time it was totally different and I am having nightmares over it. They gave him a shot in the leg muscle which he yelled out a huge cry and he was fighting it by trying to stand up but kept collapsing. I believe instead of giving him something to sleep they gave him something to paralize him instead. What can I do from preventing them from doing the same to other dogs?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Joe Joe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Joe Joe?
Customer: He was a real sweetheart and trusted me so I feel that I let him down by having to die such a horrible death.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your experience. Euthanizing a beloved pet is always a difficult thing, but to have a bad experience makes it even worse. Unfortunately, as much as we would like every euthanasia to go perfectly smoothly, occasionally that doesn't occur. Did the vets give a second injection into the vein after the first? Many veterinarians will give a sedative to a dog prior to the actual euthanasia drug (the drug that will stop the heart). Some of these sedative drugs are given by intramuscular injection which in some dogs can sting. I am wondering if this is what happened in your dog...

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for answering my question. Since I no longer own a pet cancel any subscription. I will consider your services should I get another dog.

You are welcome. I will let the administration know you do not want a subscription.

I would also consider discussing what happened with your vet. Sometimes it helps to know what exactly was going on in the situation, and I can hypothesize, but only your vet who was there can give you the answer. It may be that your vet is upset by how the euthanasia went as well, so there is no harm in calling and asking if you can discuss it, just for clarification. Sometimes it helps to discuss it with someone. Other times, that isn't what owners want, so it is a personal decision. Please let me know if you have any other questions!