Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

German shepard/husky 8 yrs old - started vomiting yesterday

- that and diahrea all...
german shepard/husky 8 yrs old - started vomiting yesterday - that and diahrea all day long. wouldn't eat or drink - would go outside to bathroom and vomit, but not very active. started drinking water middle of the night, but still won't eat. did pee this am. when should i be concerned or what should i be watching for urgency? my name is kris
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she's been a bit finicky with her eating the past few days - but yesterday started the vomitting and diarreha - probably vomitted 8 times through out the day. had chunks of what looked like meat in it initally, but then just clear yellow juice like substandce
1/9/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that your dog isn't feeling well. I do have a few additional questions to ask first if you don't mind:

1. Can you tell me the color of her gums?

2. Are they moist or dry?

3. Any reaction when you palpate her abdomen?

4. And, just to confirm, she's just laying around and has no energy?

5. Is she keeping the water down?

Thanks, Deb

Gums are black and seem to be dry. She will walk around and wag her tail today. Wants to sit outside mostly yesterday. Lying down now.
Yes she seems to be keeping water down.
Doesn't seem too bothered when pressure on abdomen

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Unfortunately, my state board prohibits phone conversations but I hope that this format continues to be acceptable to you. My apologies for the inconvenience.

If you're fine with continuing with text, please give me time to type back a response for you. Deb

I'm here waiting for a response

My answers tend to be somewhat lengthy so I'll thank you in advance for your patience while I type back my reply. Deb

Gum color tends to be pale pink although some dogs do have black pigment so it's hard to evaluate their hydration status (dehydrated dogs tend to have redder gums).

Dry gums, however, could indicate dehydration even though she's drinking and not vomiting it back up.

No abdominal pain is also a good thing.

There are any number of reasons why a dog could develop these sorts of gi symptoms which range from dietary indiscretion to bacterial or viral infections to IBD to systemic disease to a foreign body...just to name a few examples.

It's possible that the suggestions I'll make below will be enough to get her past this but if she's not responding as expected today and/or she worsens, then a vet visit would be suggested.

1. To help reduce her nausea, I'd give over the counter Pepcid AC at a dose of 1/4th mg per pound of body weight twice a day.

2. Don't even offer her anything to eat for 8-12 hours ; just give everything a chance to settle down.

3. Since she's drinking and not vomiting the water, I'd substitute otc Pedialyte since it contains electrolytes and can help to replace those lost in her stools and when she was vomiting.

4. If her nausea appears controlled, then offer her 1 part boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast and 4 parts 20-minute boiled white rice but only a small amount at one time. Three to four meals a day are preferable to 1 or 2.

5. Once (if?) her vomiting is controlled and she's not taking any steroids or nsaid medication but her stools continue to be loose, then

Regular Strength Pepto Bismol can be given. The dose would be 1 ml per 10 lbs of body weight 2-3 times a day.

For example, if she weighs 50 lbs, then you would give 5 mls or one teaspoon.

Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach.

6. I'd start her on a good quality, canine probiotic such as Forti Flora or Resources Protegrity GI. These products can be extremely useful for gastrointestinal issues (and to help strengthen the immune system as well). They may be available at local pet/grain stores or can be purchased online.

Basically, the vomiting needs to be controlled first and then the looser stool issues can be addressed.

But, again, if she doesn't show signs of improvement, if the stools become really bloody or if she starts to vomit blood or becomes really lethargic and/or refuses to eat, then I wouldn't wait to have her seen.

I hope this helps and that she's feeling better soon. Deb

Ok thanks. I am positive about her water intake and don't think she's critically dehydrated. She's sleeping now but will try chicken/broth/Rice today and see if she improves.

You're more than welcome.

Good luck with her. Deb

Can I continue to bounce questions to you if necessary?

Kris,

You can continue to ask questions about this issue although I may not be online at the time. If I'm not online, I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can continue to discuss this issue at no additional charge to you.

Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian