Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pug has dry skin and welts. Over the past 5 years she has

Customer Question
never had issues with allergies...
My pug has dry skin and welts. Over the past 5 years she has never had issues with allergies, however, she has recently developed skin issues and the welts are prominent tonight. Should she go to ER Vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the pug's name?
Customer: Lucy. Thank you.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: There is a semi new puppy in my house, a French Bulldog, She is 9 mos. old. Lucy has become nervous since she came into the home. The more physiological issues, however, include Lucy dragging herself on her stomach when she is in the grass. However she has not been outside in several hours, could this be a newly developed allergy or stress?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Is she itchy with these?

Is dragging her belly in the grass a new behaviour for her?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Hi again,

Glad to hear that she has settled, since it did sound like she was having an allergic reaction as opposed to a stress induced issue. And if she was rubbing her belly on grass, its possible that it was the grass or something on it that set off her immune system. Otherwise, we can also see this with contact allergies (ie to new products being used in the house, food for the pup, etc) in dogs.

Otherwise, if that is her general skin issue, I have to say that Lucy's skin does appear quite sensitive. That is quite a bit of inflammation and also supports an allergic issue (as opposed to bacterial or fungal). So, if you see any more welts or even these flare ups, you could try her with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Or if she were severely irritated, then there are immune modulating treatments (ie Atopica, Apoquel, steroids) that can counter these reactions and keep the skin comfortable.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian