Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has had pale colored, dry, very crumbly poop ever

Customer Question
since we changed to Royal...
My dog has had pale colored, dry, very crumbly poop ever since we changed to Royal Canine Ultimo about a week ago. It basically crumbles when touched.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Axl is a 2 yr 3 month old Blue Doberman
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Axl?
Customer: He has bad allergies, sees a vet dermatologist and was found to be allergic to dust, human dander, mouse dander and corn pollen. That's why we switched to the Royal Canine Ultimo food. He seems more itchy since being on that food also, which is odd since it is a good for dogs with allergies. I'm going to stop feeding him the food as of right now, but what else should I do for this poor boy?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

First, I do just want to mention that if Axl has only been on the new diet for a week, then it won't likely have much effect on his allergies yet. Dietary allergens can take up to 6 weeks to leave the skin cells. So, we tend to need to feed the new diet on its own for that period of time to determine if it does help or not. That said, as you only listed environmental allergens, if he hasn't any dietary ones then diet modification will be of limited use.

In any case, in regards ***** ***** change in fecal consistency, this just suggests that the new diet isn't getting as much fluid into his system as his old one was. As well, it supports that his digestion of the food may be leaving less fiber/components to form a normal stool. In cases like this, we can of course change the diet but it can also help to increase fluid uptake. For that, we can use the canned formulation or add water to the kibble to soak it and thus increased water intake. Of course, we'd also want to encourage him to drink by offering fresh water but can also flavour that with low salt chicken broth to keep him drinking and counter this drying of the feces in the gut.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, thank you for your response. Another related question, what is the best type of oil to add to the food for skin/coat health, and digestion? And how much would I add? I've heard that olive oil and coconut oil are good. But there is a certain type of coconut oil that must be used?

You are very welcome,

I don't tend to use olive oil in dogs since it can cause pancreatitis in some. Coconut oil can be used but I personally find OTC fish oil (Omega 3 & 6) most effective and favoured by my patients. Dose-wise, we'd usually give 20mg per pound of their body weight daily. Otherwise, you can provide these fish oils via offering a small volume of fresh salmon weekly. Evening Primrose oil can also be used or there are a number of OTC canine specific EFA supplements like Viacutin or Yumega that can be of aid skin health.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian