Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

He started acting hyper and licking everything after a bout

Customer Question

He started acting hyper and licking everything after a bout of hacking and white foam on his bot***** *****p. 5 min later he threw up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the hack eat anything unusual?
Customer: No lots of foam and a few full pieces of dog food
JA: What is the hack's name and age?
Customer: Maximus 18 months. Took him outside and he just ate snow. Calmed down for an hour and started to act ancoius again and started to lick everything
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maximus?
Customer: No, he had had a clean bill of health since adopting him a year ago
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is actually 29months old ... I've had I'm for 17 months... a black lab/pit mix. 94lbs
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup Maximus is suddenly acting hyper and licking everything, followed by vomiting, and now he is licking again.

Since this is a new behavior then dogs will often lick when they have a bad taste in their mouth but that should not last long. They can also lick when they have something caught between their teeth, an infected tooth, or something stuck on the roof of their mouth.

Have you looked at his teeth and gums and on the roof of his mouth?

Has his appetite increased or decreased recently?

Dogs will often lick when they are feeling nauseous or have gastroesophageal reflux to try and settle their stomachs. If he has had a change in appetite and because he is vomiting along with his licking I feel that he may be nauseous.

Metabolic diseases that cause stomach upset like kidney or liver disease, hyperlipidemia, or pancreatitis can cause licking. Anemia can lead to pica or eating or licking non food items. In a young dog however these symptoms are usually due to him eating something he should not have, leading to nausea and possible gastroesophageal reflux.

I do recommend that he see a veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests to make sure there are no health problems behind this behavior if his licking and nausea continues.

For now in case this is related to nausea or reflux to try and settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

Either of these will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. You can use these for several days if need be or even long term as they are very safe medications.

You do want to mention this behavior to his veterinarian at his next veterinary visit even if he improves with the acid reducers as they may want to run some blood tests to look for any possible developing problems

It may also help to feed him a bland diet as well for the next few days. A homemade bland diet consists of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled, white rice or pasta. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then start mixing in his regular diet and slowly convert him back.

If he is trying to vomit but unable to do so, has a rapidly expanding, tight abdomen or seems uncoordinated and staggering then I recommend he see a veterinarian on an emergency basis as these can be signs of bloat, which is a life threatening condition.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the information. I will observe him and give him one of the above mentioned mesd. I do not feel that is is something he should not have eaten as I don't have anything lying around and the backyard is 36" of snow. However i do believe it's upset stomach of some matter. Every time I let him out he urinates but have yet to see a bowl movement today. It was -21 out and the cold may be affecting his bathroom breaks
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome. It does sound like everything is buried and it would be hard for him to find anything to eat outdoors.

Hopefully the acid reducer will ease his stomach upset and get him back on track.