Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog started having seizures last week she was in heat and

Customer Question

My dog started having seizures last week she was in heat and extremely swollen with yuk Brown blood she is 7. I was told by our local vet its her brain and i had to spend thousands to get her to melb. The vet was very young and did not listen to her symtoms over the last week jyst jumped straight to worst case. I've since spoke to a more experienced vet in another town and she will go tmoz arvo for ultrasound to check for pyometra which was not spiken about at previous vet visit. She has been off all week its extremely hot aswell so have had her inside. On Friday night we came out to her having as far as we know her first seizureat 915pm She had another at 1am. Then nothing until 1030 sat night and one 1130 sunday morn. She has has bloods n has an infection and temp. Since having valium and antibiotics we hav not seen her fit but is drinking and weeing alot and seems depressed. Why would this local vet not check my dog over properly and jump staright to a brain problem. Ther was no talk of any of this I have researched myself until I spoke to a highly recommended vet in corowa. I almost put her down.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ziggy.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ziggy?
Customer: She had 2 broken back legs at 5months old. She is scared of fireworks and the 915 and 1030 night seizures were the same time as fireworks. Could this be because she is suck n has temp already then her heart rate increases. I just don't believe we should be looking at her brain so soon. Tomorrow arvo ultrasound will tell if its pyometra I guess. I asked if they could overheat from already being sick n hot then hwaring fireworks could it cause her seizures. I just want as many opinions as i can get. Her bloods also showed high white cell count.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Since having vallium n started antibiotics yesterday we hav seen no seizures but depressed drinking and weeing alot. Will eat but i only giv her tiny amount as she has thrown up a few times. Also no fireworks last night.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When ziggy has been on heat previously it was just normal not much swelling and sml drops if blood. This last heat her vulva i think its called was huge she didn't want to walk kept dropping her bum to the ground.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did Ziggy's heat cycle being?
2) When did the seizures begin?
3) Has anyone discussed performing bloodwork since the seizures began?