Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

She has a very deep cough and when she coughs she will gag

Customer Question

She has a very deep cough and when she coughs she will gag and spit up salivia
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shes 4 and her name is ***** ***** think it's kennel cough. Can she have amoxicillin
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about beau?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

What kind of dog is Beau?

Has she been near other dogs, at the groomer, etc?

Is she eating/drinking normally?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is a black lab. She went to daycare the other day. Yes she is eating and drinking normally
Expert:  Lisa replied 6 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog may have contracted Bordatella while she was at daycare.

As I'm sure you know, this is a very contagious upper respiratory infection that is pretty common in some settings, such as groomers or kennels and definitely at daycares.

The good news is that this is considered a 'self limiting' infection...meaning that it only gets so bad before it goes away on it's own...sort of like the human cold.

As a general rule, we don't even prescribe medications for it because it will eventually go away by itself as long as the dog is otherwise healthy.

That being said....unfortunately, no one can prescribe anything over the internet. Just like in human medicine, we need to have an in person relationship, and since we don't have one, it would be illegal to prescribe anything for Beau.

Something you could do would be to turn on your shower very hot and shut the bathroom door. When it gets good and steamy in there, take Beau in for 5-10 minutes. Often the steam will help loosen things up and ease the coughing a bit.

If the coughing doesn't get better in a week or so, or if you notice Beau getting sicker, then you need to have her seen by your regular vet, but odds are it will resolve on it's own in a few days.

I hope this helps.