Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My god (AmStaff/Boxer) has slowly developed a series of

Customer Question
symptoms, and I am unsure...
My god (AmStaff/Boxer) has slowly developed a series of symptoms, and I am unsure if there is an underlying cause. Symptoms include: sudden fearfulness/aggression, flaky nails, dry and flaky skin, hair loss under his "armpits" and back legs (near patella), and lastly a head tremor. The head tremor occur in on/off spurts about once a month. He is conscious during these episodes and is responsive to my interaction with him. Any insight that I could get would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. The most important symptoms you mentioned are his peracute (sudden) fearfulness/aggression and episodic tremors (simple partial seizures need to be considered as well). His behavior change in association with a tremor or seizure syndrome suggests encephalopathy (brain disorder) such as a slowly growing meningioma in a breed such as he. His skin disorder would be unrelated and needs to be examined hands-on to see if an allergic dermatitis, pyoderma (bacterial skin infection), or perhaps seborrhea or autoimmune skin disease has arisen.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Maegan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maegan Morooney. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian