Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My puppy is more tried than usual should I be worried? She

Customer Question

My puppy is more tried than usual should I be worried?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: She ate and drank water. But she is usually very playful in the morning and she is just laying around.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your puppy will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?
Customer: So do I just wait on line for the vet to answer? This is my first time using this site
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

I understand that you are concerned about your puppy's relative lethargy compared to usual.

The positive news is that she is eating and drinking and is not vomiting.

Puppies go through growth spurts and may sleep more during that time or even have some bone pain which can cause them to be less active. This is more common in large or giant breed dogs.

It's also possible that she got into something that you aren't aware of and has some abdominal discomfort. Not enough to change her appetite, but enough to make her feel less playful.

Does she have a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F)?

Does she have a runny nose, cough or loose stools?

At this point if her only symptom is relative lethargy I would give her time and see if she comes along on her own.

If she stops eating, starts vomiting, runs a fever or has a nasal or eye discharge then it is time to see her veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thanks, ***** *****