Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog ate quite a bit of kleenex, Beau, 6, german shepherd mix, He is 6, No

He ate quite a bit...
He ate quite a bit of kleenex
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Beau, 6, german shepherd mix
JA: How old is Beau?
Customer: He is 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beau?
Customer: No
1/8/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since he ate the kleenex?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Any symptoms?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He ate it while we were at church, so an hour. He weighs about 90 pounds. He just belched, he has kind if coughed like he had something in his throat. He is chewing on a chew toy. And no, but I am sure I can get some.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

The concern would be a possible obstruction. I would move quickly and pick up hydrogen peroxide 3% in a local pharmacy and try to make him vomit. This is what you can do:

1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the kleenex in the vomit change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). In addition, make sure he is drinking plenty of water; you can give him milk to keep the stool soft. The idea is for the rice to help pass the kleenex in the feces.

4- If at any point during the next few days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, abdominal swelling, pale gums, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe him and change his diet as above then wean him back into his regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is great. He is back to eating only dog food! Thanks for your help.

Fantastic!

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian